Final Updates

In the final week I updated the UI for most of the scenes and finished implementing the UI for the shopkeepers.
We ended up deciding to turn the third shopkeeper into a tutorial. She holds pages describing the controls and mechanics of the game play in and out the dungeon.
Besides that I made final changes to the Dungeon UI, including a way to pick the size of potion you want to use.
Other than that I did mostly bug fixing and finalising the map decoration.

Week 13 – 15

Due to exams I didn’t get too many opportunities to make any more posts so here’s  a short summation.
I updated the decoration of the dungeon so we can now also work with decals to break up the tiled textures of the walls.
I started implementing the code behind the shops in the hub scene and also updated the UI there so that now the player can choose the size, difficulty and kanji lesson when they enter a new dungeon.

Furthermore I am adding a saving function. The game will be restricted to one save but there will probably be a reset option in the future.


Week 12: UI, Loot and movement updates

For the last two weeks I have been working on the UI of both the dungeon level and the hub area. After that I updated the movement so the player can keep moving by just holding the button as this was a complaint we got from most people play-testing our game.

This week I mainly worked on implementing the loot system into the game play. When killing an enemy or just finding a loot-pile in the dungeon, the player is given a number of random items. The maximum value and the number of items is dependent on the overall difficulty and a bit of luck. But there will never be more then five items in on drop. The player can either pick up everything or take certain items. This will become more important later.


For now the numbers represent the value of the found items where five is very rare and one is very common. These will be replaced by either 2D renders of the objects or the 3D objects in canvas space.

Week 10: Map Generator Implementation

The generation has been implemented into the main project. The player movement,  enemy spawn system and the general dungeon game play elements have been linked to it and most bugs have been fixed. The corridors should no longer create any dead ends and the player will always have at least one exit and one entrance to a dungeon.
All that remains now is to decorate the map and make sure the lighting gets done right.


Week 9: Map Generator Meshes

I continued working on the map generator by implementing a mesh loader to decorate the maps. Walls and corners are spawned on obstacle tiles depending on surrounding movable tiles. This makes sure that obstacle tiles will not spawn in unnecessary meshes if the player never comes across them. Ceilings, floors and details are spawned on movable tiles.
I worked mostly with temporary meshes and materials for now.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.


For the rest of the week I plan to finish and hopefully insert the generator in the main project. This will include some updates to the corridor generation to make sure no dead ends, or parts of the map that are cut off from the player are created, and I will also load in more detail meshes.

Week 8: Map Generation

For this week I worked on the map generator. I did this outside our project as it would conflict too much with the current systems. For now the generator creates a path from  each of the entrances of the map. These paths will change direction depending on the corner chance variable set at the start and will go on until the max length for a path is reached. after that a room is created at the end, one of the tiles from that room gets picked as the next starting point and a new path continues from there.
Now I will start implementing the modular meshes into the generation and I will make the algorithm a bit less random to make the layouts more interesting.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Week 5: Loot system

This week I worked further on the loot system I mentioned last time.The amount and value of loot you get with every drop depends on the overall difficulty of the current level, the percentage of the level that you have explored and a bit of luck.
Next to that I also started planning to make the grid maps randomly generated. I am planning to divide a level in a predetermined number of sub-levels which you can choose when starting a new level. The sub-levels will have randomly generated corridors and rooms but the entrances and exits will have be in the middle of each side (see image).


Week 4: UI

This week I updated the UI for the game-play in the dungeon. I followed the image shown in the pitch document for the composition and relative sizes of the UI elements. For now they are just simple shapes but these will be replaced later in development.

I also started implementing the loot system. The idea is that while you make your way through a level you will sometimes find a tile with loot. This will either be just coins or other valuables which you can sell at a shop in the hub area once you leave the level. It will also be possible to find health and ink potions to replenish both.